How do traditional retail (street/food) markets benefit you and your community?
- They offer a place where people feel they belong! A home away from home…
- They offer all consumers of all ages and types easy access to affordable, often locally produced food, that is mostly fresh, healthy, diverse and ethnically varied;
- They offer increased employment and a stronger local economy by being important employment generators and small-business “incubators” that offer business start-up opportunities;
- They provide support for the most vulnerable in our communities like the elderly, the poor, the otherwise excluded;
- The support better public health though increased fruit and vegetable consumption – and by promoting healthy-eating programmes as well as other local initiatives);
- They support community culture like arts, craft and entertainers, they help to increase tourism, and they are usually a strong part of the community and national cultural heritage;
- They are a fun way to promote community and ethnic cohesion among peoples of all race and religion, and they often offer an educational forum for adults and children;